After losing a 5-round battle against Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone, Al Iaquinta has incurred a 6 month medical suspension.
MMAJunkie received a list of medical suspensions from the Ontario Office of the Athletics Commissioner, the organization responsible for regulating the UFC Fight Night 151 bout. Usually, medical suspensions can be shortened once the fighter receives medical clearance from a doctor. However, a representative from the Athletic Commission stated the suspension for Iaquinta was set at 180 days.
Al Iaquinta’s statement to MMAJunkie contradicted information provided by the Athletic Commissioner. He does not think the suspension is set as 6 months, he has said this is not the case and he ‘would have remembered that,’ if the information was different.
Despite his loss, the lightweight fighter impressed many viewers including Dana White with his resilient performance against Cerrone. No information was provided for the reason behind Al Iaquinta’s 6-month suspension or why he received conflicting information. In contrast, Cerrone received a 14-day suspension.
For a Commissioner to issue a set suspension without the possibility of a medical clearance, it would be very rare. We are yet to see if this is the case of if there has been a conflict in decision behind the scenes. Only time will tell. Keep an eye out for future updates.
The full list of UFC Fight Night 151 are as follows:
- Aiemann Zahabi: suspended 14 days
- Al Iaquinta: suspended 180 days
- Arjan Singh Bhullar: suspended 14 days
- Andrew Sanchez: suspended 30 days and medical clearance
- Brad Katona: suspended 14 days
- Cole Smith: suspended 14 days
- Cub Swanson: suspended 30 days and medical clearance.
- Donald Cerrone: suspended 14 days
- Derek Brunson: suspended 14 days
- Elias Theodorou: suspended 14 days
- Juan Adams: suspended 30 days and medical clearance
- Kyle Prepolec: suspended 14 days
- Macy Chiasson: suspended 14 days
- Marc-Andre Barriault: suspended 14 days
- Matt Sayles: suspended 14 days and medical clearance
- Merab Dvalishvili: suspended 30 days
- Mitch Gagnon: suspended 30 days
- Nordine Taleb: suspended 14 days
- Sarah Moras: suspended 60 days
- Sergey Spivak: suspended 60 days and medical clearance
- Shane Burgos: suspended 14 days
- Vince Morales: suspended 30 days and medical clearance
- Walt Harris: suspended 14 days
Who do you want to see Donald Cerrone and Al Iaquinta fight when they’re eligible to fight again?
This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 5/8/2019.This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM